Let me tell you about the hands down best gift that I received this Christmas (thanks mom!) – a jar of homemade peppermint body scrub! If you’re like me, the very best gifts are useful things, and who doesn’t love to pamper themselves? I’ve been using this divinely scented sugar scrub daily, on my body as well as my face, and it’s so incredibly soothing that it eliminates the need for moisturizer. The best part is that you can make it at home in just a few minutes, for yourself or a lucky friend! Simply follow the instructions below.
- Mason Jar
- Olive oil
- Essential oil for scent (Peppermint is just one of many options!)
- Spoon for mixing
- Embellishments for jar, if desired
- Open jar and fill with sugar
- Pour olive oil on top of sugar
- Stir sugar and olive oil, making sure all of the sugar is coated in the olive oil
- Add the essential oil a few drops at time until the desired amount scent is achieved
- Adorn your jar with something special (Pipe cleaner, ribbon, and an artificial flower adhered with hot glue is shown. Printed labels provide a modern option.)
Wet skin for a few minutes in the shower or bath, then apply the scrub with your hands (I use my bare hands but bath mitts can also be used), gently massage the skin until the sugar dissolves, lightly rinse and you are done!
For safety reasons, I suggest using a plastic container to hold the scrub while using it in the shower or bath, to avoid the risk of dropping the glass jar on accident. If you are using the scrub in the bath especially, make sure to wipe down the area if you notice that the oil has made the tub or shower floor slick, so that no one falls.